Junior Bo-Kyung Hwang, a piano student of Yong Hi Moon, won first place for the Collegiate Strings in the 2013 Rockville Competition for Piano and Strings. She will perform Beethoven’s Sonata Op. 57 in the Winners’ Recital.
Tenor Halim Shon, Master of Music candidate and student of Stanley Cornett, won first place in the Annapolis Opera Vocal Competition on April 28. Shon has been admitted to the full-tuition Artist Diploma program at Yale University, where he will be attending in the fall. Mezzo-soprano Madelyn Wanner (BM ’09, Voice), a former student of Phyllis Bryn-Julson, won a study grant in the competition.
The annual Pi Kappa Lambda Induction Reception for Peabody’s Epsilon Omicron Chapter, which this year doubles as a celebration of our 30th-year at the Institute, was held on April 29 at Maestro’s Café/Annex. Pi Kappa Lambda is a national music honor society founded in 1918 and is a member of the Association of College Honor Societies. Many thanks to Peabody’s faculty Chapter members for nominating and electing the following 2013 undergraduate and graduate student inductees, thereby recognizing their outstanding achievement in scholarship, musicianship, collegiality, and service to our Peabody community:
- Spencer Artwick – Guitar (Julian Gray)
- Joseph Buono – Trombone (Randall Campora)
- Sarah Hayashi – Voice (Phyllis Bryn-Julson/Stanley Cornett)
- Anais Naharro-Murphy – Voice (Phyllis Bryn-Julson/Marianna Busching)
- Nicole Papadatos –Clarinet/ Music Ed (Steven Barta)
- Laura Stokes – Harp (Ruth Inglefield)
- Terrence Sweeney – Percussion (Robert Van Sice)
- Rachel Grider – Voice / Theory Ped. (Phyllis Bryn-Julson)
- Elizabeth Kerstein – Voice (Stanley Cornett)
- Bethany Pietroniro – Piano (Yong Hi Moon)
- Leslie Procter – Voice (Stanley Cornett)
- Eric Sweeney – Voice (Stanley Cornett).
An article on WYPR.org, “Honoring a Heroic Production of Verdi’s ‘Requiem’,” features the Defiant Requiem performances at Peabody on April 23 and 24.
Tim Smith, from The Baltimore Sun, wrote a review of Tuesday night’s performance of the Defiant Requiem, “Moving performance of ‘Defiant Requiem’ at Peabody Institute.”